Monday, May 16, 2011

David is sick again. He has a runny nose and a cough so bad he chokes. He feels so bad that he doesn't even want to play!! For the first time ever, I turned on PBS cartoons and David sat in my lap for nearly 30 minutes watching them. He only wanted to be in my arms, wiping his snot on me as he tried to make the congestion go away. Not laugh. Just sitting. It breaks my heart to see him like this. I only got very short glimpses of my usually happy, fun-loving little boy today. He would get up the energy to play and shortly after have to stop to cough and rub his itchy, runny nose. That would make him mad, so he would come back to me crying. I'd hold him for at least 15 minutes before he even thought about getting up again. To make matters worse the weather was cold and rainy, so we couldn't even go outside!
We ventured to the store today only to get him a vaporizer and vapor bath (as his Aunt Laureen suggested) to help him breath through the night. The lady at Target who always loves to see David, knew something was wrong with him immediately. With her very thick Northern accent she said, "Oh, David, I've never seen you this unhappy before. What is wrong sweetheart?" When I explained to her that he was sick, she rushed us over to her checkout, quickly rang up what we had, and sent us on our way. She was so concerned about him.
I'm sure it's just a cold. David is so pitiful when he's sick- another characteristic he may have inherited from his Daddy- that it upsets me. I hate that he doesn't understand why he can't breath out of his nose, why I have to wipe it every minute, or why he coughs so hard he throws up (twice).
Hopefully, tomorrow he will be on the upswing.

No comments: