Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Potty Training Update

I just wanted to report that this morning as I was getting the kids ready to go to grocery store, David volunteered to NOT wear a diaper! [or his big boy underwear, but we'll let that slide for now] I was a bit nervous about it since we had never left the potty-closeness of the house, but excited that he wanted to do it. So I encouraged it and went along. I kind of thought, and maybe was hoping a little too, that he would change his mind before we left, but he didn't! Of course, we made one finally stop at the potty before we left and I pack an entire change of clothes for him just in case. I kept reminding him during the car ride-  
"Remember, you don't have on a diaper..." 
"Okay, me find bathroom in grocery store."
"Does that mean you need to go right now?"
"No, ma'ma."

At the grocery store the same conversation took place several times, but we never needed to locate the store's bathroom. We made it all the way back home [I would estimate it was an a hour and a half round trip]. We pulled into the garage, David jumped out of the car ready to play with his outdoor toys while I unloaded the groceries. Every time I would come out to the car for another load there he would be, in the driveway playing. Then one time he wasn't. I ran out of the garage calling him when I heard him  answer from around the side of the house. I peered around and saw my little boy with his pants pulled down. "Mama, me makin' mud." It was a proud moment. 

He went all day without a diaper [excluding nap time, of course] and NEVER had an accident! I couldn't believe it. I am incredibly proud of him and hope this is putting us on the right road to being potty trained.

3 comments:

Stephanie Martin said...

Way to go David! I want to try with Layton over Christmas break when we have plenty of time at home. He has tried a few times, usually going on the floor because he insists on standing up at the big potty and realizing he can't reach.

Twinkle said...

So proud of you David! Oh my goodness, you are such a big boy!

Nicole @ Suddenly Snowden said...

Yay!! And how many children also make mud in the process? not many I bet!