Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Precious Moment

Today was just a normal day. Our schedule was the same as any day. In the afternoon, we ate lunch and then headed up stairs for nap time. The kids take their afternoon naps at the same time [yay for me!]. So everyday the three of us pile into David's bed, each kid with a cup of milk in hand, we snuggle up, I read a book, Rachael nurses, David plays with my hair, and I sing. I cherish this time with my babies!! 
They are usually asleep in no time. But, today they would not go to sleep. They had to be tired. We had a fun morning full of activities, so I knew they should be asleep, but they weren't. They were both very wiggly and playful. Finally, I gave them an ultimatum- be still & go to sleep or I'm taking Rachael directly to her bed and you can both put yourselves to sleep. Not something any of us wanted.
David looked at Rachael, who was laying on my chest, put his arms out and asked her if she wanted to snuggle with him. I chuckled. Rachael has never wanted to snuggle with David, yet he continues to want to hold her and be close to her. So, I thought I knew what her answer would be- a big head shake. But, it wasn't. She nodded bigger than I have ever seen her nod and rolled off of me into his arms. 'Okay', I thought, 'she'll be there for maybe a minute and then want up.' I just kept singing, watching, and waiting. All of a sudden they were both asleep! 

 photo Naptogether1_zpsd5790f98.jpg

It was the most precious scene I could imagine. My two little babies snuggled up with each other. I relished the moment. I knew it was a time I would always remember.

 photo Naptogether2_zps88509702.jpg
that's David's hand on the bottom around Rachael.

But, I also knew I had to get a picture of this because I didn't know how long it would last. One of them could move and wake the other and it would be all over. I had to wedge David's bear [his name is Beer, but that's another story] under their hands because they were propped up on me. I quietly rushed downstairs, I think I continued singing thinking it might help them stay asleep. I grabbed my camera and snuck my way back up. I prayed that my camera wouldn't wake them up. It makes a sound when it's in focus and I had to use the flash. I did a test run and it was clear- they weren't waking up. I took several more and they never moved. I did eventually take Rachael to her bed. I couldn't chance one or both of them waking up too early. 



It is moments like this that I live for. They make me thankful to have babies so close in age. Yes, it's tough. Yes, there are times I get frustrated, annoyed, impatient, and exhausted. And then they do something like this and it just melts my heart and I forget about those difficult times. Because they are only 17 months apart, David can't remember a time when he didn't have a little sister. There is no jealousy or competition between the two [at least not for now, we'll see what the future holds]. But, when I was pregnant with Rachael and would talk to mothers who had raised children close in age, they all said the same thing- 'they will be best friends.'
These sweet moments are becoming more frequent. David and Rachael are learning to play together, share, and help each other. It's so much fun to watch them interact. They are even starting to have their own conversations, which is just too cute. Rachael's favorite book right now is called My Brother and I. The last line is: "We'll be best friends forever, my brother and I."   
I hope so. 

2 comments:

R's Rue said...

How sweet!

Nicole @ Suddenly Snowden said...

I'm teary!! I read this post last week but came to make sure I was caught up on your blog and re-read it. So sweet!!!!