Last week we ALL attended Vacation Bible School!! The kids' school/my gym is first and foremost a church. Even though we don't attend services there, it's still our home away from home, at least for me and the kids. We've made lots of friends because of the church and are thankful for such a wonderful place! David's lead teacher, Ms. Amber, is in charge of VBS for the church and really wanted David and Rachael to come! She also encouraged me [and Ryan] to attend the adult VBS class.
I don't have many pictures of the events and goings-on throughout the week, but this is how it started:
And this is how it ended.
The theme of the week was Weird Animals. Each day they learned about an unusual animal who felt different in some way but learned that Jesus loved them no matter what. Of course, each one was backed up by a Bible verse. There was lots of praise songs to sing, crafts to make, activities in the gym, a snack to eat, and even some playground fun. David and Rachael LOVED it. There was actually one night that Rachael asked if she could just stay instead of going home. It was in the evening, which at first I was afraid of, but we just moved nap time around a bit and it worked out well. I was thankful, though, that we never had to be anywhere early in mornings because they slept in much later than usual!
While the kids were having their fun, Ryan and I were enjoying the adult's Bible study. It was taught by a veteran Sunday School teacher from the church and she really knew her stuff. She made it fun and interesting. The class was an hour and half long and it always flew by.
After the last evening, we were driving home reviewing the whole week and the kids asked, "Are we going back next week?"
** A moment I want to remember: On that same car ride home the conversation switch to the story of Jonah [the whale was not one of the weird animals for the week]. David likes to review the stories we read in his Bible from time to time, but had not done it with this story recently. Mostly I just ask open ended questions and let him tell me the story. We got to Jonah being thrown overboard and the storm stopping. I said, "And then what happened?!" David informed us that a whale came up and 'gulped' Jonah. I asked, "Where did that whale come from?!" And at 2 1/2 years old, before David could even open his mouth, Rachael yelled out, "GOD!" It was a proud moment for Ryan and me to say the least. To know that she is listening and now beginning to really understand the Bible stories just makes my heart so happy.
I don't have many pictures of the events and goings-on throughout the week, but this is how it started:
And this is how it ended.
The theme of the week was Weird Animals. Each day they learned about an unusual animal who felt different in some way but learned that Jesus loved them no matter what. Of course, each one was backed up by a Bible verse. There was lots of praise songs to sing, crafts to make, activities in the gym, a snack to eat, and even some playground fun. David and Rachael LOVED it. There was actually one night that Rachael asked if she could just stay instead of going home. It was in the evening, which at first I was afraid of, but we just moved nap time around a bit and it worked out well. I was thankful, though, that we never had to be anywhere early in mornings because they slept in much later than usual!
While the kids were having their fun, Ryan and I were enjoying the adult's Bible study. It was taught by a veteran Sunday School teacher from the church and she really knew her stuff. She made it fun and interesting. The class was an hour and half long and it always flew by.
After the last evening, we were driving home reviewing the whole week and the kids asked, "Are we going back next week?"
** A moment I want to remember: On that same car ride home the conversation switch to the story of Jonah [the whale was not one of the weird animals for the week]. David likes to review the stories we read in his Bible from time to time, but had not done it with this story recently. Mostly I just ask open ended questions and let him tell me the story. We got to Jonah being thrown overboard and the storm stopping. I said, "And then what happened?!" David informed us that a whale came up and 'gulped' Jonah. I asked, "Where did that whale come from?!" And at 2 1/2 years old, before David could even open his mouth, Rachael yelled out, "GOD!" It was a proud moment for Ryan and me to say the least. To know that she is listening and now beginning to really understand the Bible stories just makes my heart so happy.




No comments:
Post a Comment